Average rating : HIGH
Blockstack is a new decentralized internet where users own their data and apps run locally. A browser portal is all that’s needed to get started.
|Crowd-sale:||ENDED - ENDED||ENDED||85,500,000 /57,500,000 USD raised|
Raised: 57,500,000 of 85,500,000USD ( 67%)
|Ticker:||STX||Available for token sale:||20|
|Token type:||OWN WALLET||Private-sale/pre-sale token price:||/|
|Accepts:||ETH, BTC, USD||Private-sale/pre-sale bonus:||no info/ no info|
|Prototype:||YES||Pre-sale min/max personal cap:|
|Team:||9||Crowd-sale token price:||0.12 USD|
|Team residence:||USA||Crowd-sale min/max personal cap:||100 / TBA|
|Company residence:||Cant participate:|
What I like:
- First ever SEC approved token sale
- Invested in by big names such as Arrington, Winklevoss, Huobi etc, incubated by Y Combinator
- Working product with 170 dApps, SDKs and proper documentation
- Old school token metrics selling more than 80% of tokens
What I dislike:
- The tech is weak when compared to Ethereum and more modern blockchains
- LISP-based programming language “Clarity” adds complexity for developers
- The leader election process seems problematic; destroying Bitcoin in the process is a crime
- Reliance on end-user devices performance limits potential use cases vs i.e. Elastos (super-computer on any mobile phone)
Overall, I dislike it. I salute the efforts of the team to run the first SEC approved token sale, the world will definitely remember them for this. As for their actual product, I am not so sure. Their vision of a decentralized internet is beautiful from a philosophical point of view, but the actual execution hardly compares to modern blockchains: throughput is an afterthought, it lacks a decentralized file system, it has a weird election system for validators that is potentially a single point of failure, a new programming language, no privacy features and worst of all, wants to burn Bitcoins.
With that being sad, I am pretty sure $80mn cash can build a lot of cool stuff to prove me wrong until 2020. I will wait and not use my voucher right now.